Thursday, July 22, 2010

Work in progress

I've been trying to find the right words to describe and sum up this year's RFKC. It was so drastically different from any other year that it feels a bit like a whole different game we just played. This is my 4th year to be involved with RFKC at TNL and my 2nd year on the leadership team, but definitely the most unique year. And it might boil down to this:
We're all a beautiful work in progress. It's a mantra that keeps coming to mind and something that I remind myself of in my daily life. It keeps me humble and keeps me seeing situations compassionately. It keeps me from being judgmental and keeps me from perfectionism. Mostly, it just keeps my expectations realistic. This is the theme that comes out when I think about this year's camp. I had the privelege of working with 34 other individuals who have a heart for loving on orphans and foster kids in Denver and we did it in the most human and honest way any of us knew how: by using our gifts and talents and passions to the best of our ability. It wasn't perfect or without its bumps in the road. I did and said plenty of things that maybe I shouldn't have... and my guess is that other people feel the same way. However, there is something very beautiful about a group of almost strangers coming together as a community for a specific purpose and offering grace and forgiveness when our "in progress" moments come out. Of course there are things that I would change about this year if i could....but I can't...and I'm so thankful for that. I'm thankful because it teaches me to trust God with my faults and failings. I'm thankful because in not being able to control everything (or anything) I can relax and just be myself, with all my imperfections and humanity and put my hope and faith in God to do the redemption in these kids' lives. I'm thankful because i get to trust this community in a much more deep and profound way. And hopefully, through all of this, the love and grace and forgiveness spill out into the lives of the kids we came together to care for in the first place.
I feel so blessed to be a part of this team and to know these 34 amazing people. God is doing big stuff among us and through us, and I'm so excited to see what the future holds!

Tiffani
Dean of Women, Leadership Team

No comments:

Post a Comment